Monday 19 May 2014

Return Of The Soroche : La Paz : Fri 16th May

The altitude has officially kicked Sarah's arse. She is crippled today. A vice has been clamped to her head, stomach is upside down, she is not a well bunny at all. It has been coming, I suppose, and now it is here. I was worried before, I am worried now.

Although breakfast in done I manage to find someone to give me a cup of hot water and Sarah has her first taste of Mate de Coca, coca leaf tea. It tastes, for the curious, like green tea. I leave her in bed briefly to run the cash down to the Banco Bisa. It's not complicated, and over forms, sign here, hand over BOB$2240, job done. Back to the hostel and things are definitely not better. Even repeats of Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men on Warner are not helping. The Dark Knight Rises comes on and we watch that. Finally she tried chewing a few coca leaves, following my example, and (possibly) they alleviate her symptoms a little. Advice on the internet suggests that altitude and diabetics do not mix.

I type our bank deposit numbers into the visa website but they, naturally, do not work. The site warns us that deposits made on Fridays will not be acknowledged until the following Monday. Darn it.

Hunger strikes us, my stomach grumbles, and I bravely strike out, six blocks down, to find Sarah a taste of home. Subway's Chicken Teriyaki on Honey Oat, lettuce, green peppers, standard cheese, toasted, pickles, sweet onion dressing. Sometimes its just necessary. I exchange my continental taste buds for dirty basic ones and pick up a XL Steakhouse in Burger King. You cannot buy just a burger in Bolivian Burger King, you have to have a meal deal. Yes, yes you do. So I have a stupidly large burger plus fries plus onion rings plus a bucket of Coke. Mmmmmmm. Half an hour later I'm not hungry at all :)


After all that burger excitement I do some blogging. I'm not sure if you people realise just how much time goes into this. It's A LOT.

To end the day we catch Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part One in Spanish, which is not as much fun as it sounds, followed by Monster Squad, which is like the Goonies with Frankenstein. I think I only made it through about half of Monster Squad though, it started strong but ended weak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment